Thanks to the efforts of many people working on behalf of the dogs, there have been many successes. Some of them are:
- Avon canceled the speech of Susan Butcher (four-time Iditarod race winner) at its convention for Avon representatives.
- Novartis stopped sponsoring a musher in the Iditarod.
- The Transportation Security Administration (TSA), 5th Avenue Mall (Simon Property Group), Hills Brothers Brand (Nestle), Rite Aid, Carr-Gottstein Foods (Safeway), Maxwell House Brand (Kraft Foods), IDEXX, True Value Hardware, Yupo Corporation, Interbake Foods, Sears, Cabela’s, Seagrams, Waste Management, Konica Minolta and BP Amoco stopped sponsoring the race.
- Parker Brothers stopped production of Iditarod Monopoly. According to the Associated Press, royalties from this game increased the Iditarod prize pot by $30,000 in 1999.
- NUTRO PET PRODUCTS has stopped sponsoring a musher in the race.
- Tyson Foods, Hormel, Avis, H.J. Heinz and Ralston Purina, Eddie Bauer, Lands End, Hain-Celestial and Cabela’s stopped sponsoring mushers in the Iditarod.
- Pets.com removed an article from its website that promoted the Iditarod.
- Sherwin-Williams, Tropicana (Pepsico), Pizza Hut (Tricon Global Restaurants), Costco, Suiza Foods, Pfizer, Bausch & Lomb, Bank of America, Farmers Insurance, Jimmy Dean Food Company, and Pharmacia & Upjohn, Bayer and Fred Myer withdrew their sponsorships.
- New World Pasta (Hershey, minority shareholder) made a commitment to end its Iditarod involvement after the year 2000.
Target ended its sponsorship of the Iditarod Teacher on the Trail program.